Accéder au contenu principal

Think outside the box



The reason telling someone to “think out of the box” is so stupid is because it really means “I hate all your ideas” or “I can’t think out of the box myself, so I need you to.” In any case, it’s lame to say.
But I read research from the University of Toronto and Harvard that people who are the really creative people, the ones who can think out of the box, usually have some sort of mental illness in their family history. So now I can stop feeling like I’m a big braggart when I say that I’m very creative. It’s my payoff for a family full of mental problems.
But also, I think there are degrees of creativity, and knowing where you fall is really important, because then you know more about what you need to feel fulfilled.
We are all creative. The only thing we really have in this world is the ability to craft a life. One day your life will be over, and we are largely unsure what happens next, but during the time we’re alive, we get to choose what we do. We create a life.
So I get annoyed when people talk like some people are creative and some aren’t. It reminds me of poor white people who insult black people because they feel like they are too poor to pick on white people. If you feel bad about yourself, you pick on other people just to make yourself feel better.
It’s useful to understand, though, that most people are comfortable thinking only in the box. We are social animals, we like to be accepted, we like to be liked. Thinking out of the box jostles everyone’s world. And most people don’t want to be jostled. So out-of-the-box thinkers are annoying, and largely lonely.
People who are truly weird spend lots of time trying to figure out how to fit in. Not fitting in is a luxury for in-the-box thinkers. (This is why, by the way, I think the popular kids in school do not make all the money after graduation. Generally, people get paid a lot because they’re different, but high school popularity rewards people who are the same.)
The thing about thinking out of the box is you have to know where the box is. People think my talent is thinking out of the box. But that’s not it—my talent is finding the box, defining it. I am great at studying the rules. I love rules. The rules are what the box is made of. So here’s a rule: it’s not out of the box if it’s not in the vicinity of the box.
But most often, people waste their creativity thinking about stuff they know nothing about. So they have no idea if they are in the box or out of the box.

Another thing. I get a request every day to write a guest post for this blog. I tell people you can write a guest post if you have a controversial opinion. People honestly have no idea what a controversial opinion is. They give me ideas for stuff that has been said a million times (for example, don’t take a conventional career path).
It takes tremendous expertise in order to get out of the box. You have to have years thinking about the box, and watching people put things in, and then you have to have an idea that you recognize as fitting near the box but not in it. (Malcolm Gladwell, in his book, Outliers, says this process takes 10,000 hours.)
Most composers, for example, learned to compose by following rules. John Cage has a composition I love, titled 4'33", where the pianist sits down at a grand piano on stage, and for a little over four minutes, he does not move. The music is the crescendo of the audience growing restless that they have no idea what is going on.
John Cage studied music and thought about music for decades before he could recognize his ability to create music by annoying the audience with silence.
Grant Wood studied under popular teachers of his time, learning the mainstream painting techniques of his time.


Only after decades of not feeling like he had his own style did he stumble on a stylized way of painting that made him famous.



If your goal is to present fresh new ideas, or old ideas in a way that people have not heard before, then you must have as your goal, first, to learn all the rules and become an expert at following them. Your long hours of practice will enable you to find your own spirit within your field, and it’s likely to be out of the box.




Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

It's Time.. I missed you "Success"

I'll Fight...i'll sacrifice....I wont stop until the end I'll never stop.. Never It's Time for the extreme success Im Coming I wanna live success i wanna breath success..... i wanna be success I wanna Be high i wanna stand high...it's there where i supposed to be I'll Be the first i Don't care what it needs if i must hard work....i will hard work²² MISSION SET : Extreme Success Im Coming Success Yes I Can God Be with me

Live for a goal , live for a reason

Live for a goal , live for a reason In my point of view everything happen for a reason so I live for a reason this reason is my goal i've understand this. and also i've list my own goals in this life but i see that goals shouldn't die in my imagination i must see them realising in my life One By One Actualy the most thing who can make me extreamly happy is to realise my dreamz Don't ask me what is my goals and dreams unless you prepare a empty book of 388 page ;) but to just to wish is'nt a solution , you must follow the right path & the right way The first thing it will be the faith in God by first and second in waht you do and what you belive to be sure in what you do and listen to no body The trust, you must trust your self and clear your mind of the mental walls Just trust your self extreamly as i do always Defeat your fears : This step is verry important if you have fears you really must te defeat them because they will be a problem in the future Look to

Pure